Here you'll find all of the various permits issued by the City of Fridley. Permits ensure City ordinances are being followed and our community is safe.  

Jump to:

Building Permits

Find residential and commercial applications for building, demolition, mechanical, plumbing and electrical. The City of Fridley Building Inspections Department is responsible for administering the Minnesota State Building Code.

Questions? Call the Building Inspections Division by phone at 763-572-3604 or by email at


As of February 1, 2022, all permits shall be applied for online using the new online portal.

Permit Types

Permits are required for most residential and commercial projects, including, but not limited to: 
  • Additions
  • Accessory Structures (over 200 square feet)
  • Basement Finish
  • Decks
  • Demolition
  • Electrical
  • Garages (attached/detached)
  • Mechanical/HVAC
  • New Construction
  • Plumbing
  • Remodeling
  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Tenant Finishes
  • Windows

Rental Properties: All permits shall be obtained by a licensed contractor.


Inspections are required for all permits. Upon issuance of a permit, an inspection record card will be provided and will identify the required inspections for each project. Inspection requests must be called in to the Building Inspections Department at 763-572-3604. Please allow a minimum of 24-hour notice for all inspections.

Electrical inspections must be scheduled with the electrical inspector, Andrew Nykanen, online at or 763-754-2983.

Note: Please have the permit number ready when calling for inspections.

Building Permits - Commercial

A city commercial or specialty contractor license is required for all commercial building permit applications. See the Contractor License tab below for more information.

How do I get a permit?

All permits may be obtained by applying on our E-Permit portal.
Apply Online

Plan Review Submittal Requirements

Review Process

Once the online application submittal has been received and the application intake has been complete, the approval process may take up to 3 weeks (15 business days). Please make sure to review the plan review submittal requirements listed above to prepare required documents prior to applying for the permit.


The Building Permit Fee is based off the total job valuation (including labor and materials). To calculate the permit fee, see the table below.

Total ValueFees
$1 to $500$23.50 (Minimum Fee is $23.50 plus surcharge)
$501 to $2,000$23.50 for 1st $500 plus $3.05 for each additional $100 or fraction, to and including $2,000
$2,001 to $25,000$69.25 for 1st $2,000 plus $14 for each additional $1,000 or fraction, to and including $25,000
$25,001 to $50,000$391.25 for 1st $25,000 plus $10.10 for each additional $1,000 or fraction, to and including $50,000
$50,001 to $100,000$643.75 for 1st $50,000 plus $7 for each additional $1,000 or fraction, to and including $100,000
$100,001 to $500,000$993.75 for 1st $100,000 plus $5.60 for each additional $1,000 or fraction to and including $500,000
$500,001 to $1,000,000$3,233.75 for the 1st $500,000 plus $4.75 for each additional $1,000 or fraction, to and including $1,000,000
$1,000,00 and up$5,608.75 for the 1st $1,000,000 plus $3.15 for each additional $1,000 or fraction

Plan Check Fee (for applications that require a plan review) are 65% of the building permit fee.

Fire Surcharge is .001 times the total job valuation.

State Surcharge is .0005 times the total job valuation.

SAC Charge is $2,485 per SAC unit. This is determined by Metropolitan Council. It is the applicant's responsibility to apply for the SAC Determination with Metropolitan Council prior to applying for a commercial building permit for the following type of work: Addition, New Construction, Interior Alteration/Tenant Finish and Remodel.

Miscellaneous Documents

Engineering Permits

Any work being done in the City Right of Way or that will be disturbing land in a watershed area requires a permit from the Engineering Division. Engineering also approves permits for water and sewer repairs and driveway replacements and curb cuts. 

Note: All Engineering permits shall be completed with an online application. Under "Application Type" select Engineering Permit and then select the corresponding Sub Type.

Attention Contractors:

As of January 1, 2023, the City of Fridley is requiring that any general contractor intending to apply for an Engineering related permit (ROW, Driveway, Grading, Load Limits, Water/Sewer) obtain a valid license with the City. Please visit our online portal and click on the option that says "Apply For a License" on the right-hand side. That will bring you to CitizenServe where you can either sign-in with an existing account or register as a new user. Once you're signed in, you can begin the application. You will need to select the option for Engineering Contractor License in the first drop down menu, and the sub-type will be chosen based on the type of work your company will be doing. 

Questions? Contact our Engineering Division at 763-572-3554. 

Grading Permit

A Grading (Land Alteration) Permit is required for topographic alterations involving the movement of more than 10 cubic yards of material on steep slopes or within shore and bluff impacted zones, the movement of more than 50 cubic yards of material outside of steep slopes or within shore and bluff impacted zones, and/or grading or filling of type 2-8 wetlands.

Apply online

Fire Permits

There are separate permit applications and submission requirements for fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, and tank removal process. More additions still to come. 

Residents can submit permit applications for fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems, fuel storage tank removal, prescribed burns and more on the Fire Permits webpage

Gun Permits

The City of Fridley processes Permits to Purchase for Fridley residents. Permit to Carry applications must be filed through Anoka County. 

The City of Fridley is now processing permits to purchase through our Citizen Serve portal. You must be a Fridley resident to apply. Upon approval, permits to purchase will be mailed to your residence.

Apply for a Permit to Purchase

Questions? Call Public Safety at 763-572-3629.

Sign Permits

Sign Permits are required for new, relocated, or redesigned exterior signs within the City of Fridley. Before a permanent sign may be constructed, the sign erector must submit an application for Contractor license to the City.

Learn more about when a permit is needed on the Sign Permit webpage

Questions about a sign permit? Call Planning and Zoning at 763-572-3592.