Waste and Recycling
2019 Residential Recycling Drop-Off & Secure Paper Shredding Events
Recycle electronics, appliances, mattresses, and more in 2019 at drop-off events with free and reduced prices (also includes free paper shredding)! Reduced wait times at our new location! These events will all be hosted at Green Lights Recycling, 1525 99th Lane NE in Blaine, MN, on:
- January 12, 9 a.m. - noon
- March 9, 9 a.m. - noon
- May 11, 9 a.m. - noon
- July 13, 9 a.m. - noon
- September 14, 9 a.m. - noon
- October 12, 9 a.m. - noon
- November 9, 9 a.m. - noon
Convenient curbside organics collection is now available to Fridley residents through Republic Services. Click here to learn more and sign up. All collection occurs Wednesdays.
Curbside Recycling: What You Need to Know
Pickup is every other week, usually on the same day as your garbage collection. A holiday can sometimes push back collection one day.
You can also get text message reminders on your recycling week (standard data rates apply):
For residents in the grey recycling zone, text grey to 292929
For residents in the blue recycling zone, text blue to 292929
- Plastic bottles
- Berry boxes and deli containers
- Yogurt, pudding or fruit cups
- Mail, office or school paper (all colors)
- Magazines or catalogs
- Envelopes, receipts and scrap paper
- Aseptic containers for soup and juice
- Newspaper, inserts and phone books
- Cardboard boxes and gift boxes
- Cereal, cracker, pasta and cake mix boxes
- Glass food/beverage bottles and jars
- Metal food and beverage cans
Please don't recycle:
- Pizza boxes or boxes soiled with food
- Egg cartons or fast food waste/wrappers
- Ice cream or coated frozen food cartons
- Paper towels, napkins, cups and plates
- Gift wrap
- Plastic film or wrap
- Food-soiled microwavable food trays
- Aluminum foil or soiled pie plates
- Window glass
- Bubble wrap
- Drinking glasses
- Aerosol cans
- Alkaline batteries (car batteries and other rechargeable batteries should be brought to a battery recycling location)
- Plastic shopping bags (check with your local grocery or thrift store - many accept plastic bags for recycling)
Free Upgrade to Larger 96 Gallon Recycling Cart
If you need additional space for cardboard or other recycling, call the City Recycling Coordinator at 763-572-3594 or email them with your address. You may request a larger cart or an additional cart at no additional cost.
Additional Information about Curbside Recycling
- You do not need to sort recycling, all recyclable items can go in the cart.
- Extra cardboard that doesn't fit in the recycling cart can be flattened, tied with twine, and set next to your recycling cart for pick-up. Ensure that your cardboard is not set out on a day when it will get wet.
- Place recycling loose in the cart, items contained in tied off plastic bags might get thrown out.
- Ensure that recyclables are clean, empty and dry so that they don't contaminate other items in the recycling truck. Contaminated loads get sent to the trash.
- Don't put plastic bags into the recycling cart .Check your local grocery store - many collect plastic bags for recycling. Visit PlasticFilmRecycling.org to learn what these stores collect.
Need to set up garbage and yard waste pick-up service? For residential service, the following companies are licensed service providers. Weekly garbage service is required by code.
|Ace Solid Waste||763-427-3110|
|LePage and Sons||763-757-7100|
|Walters Recycling and Refuse||763-780-8464|
If you are looking for construction waste, a roll-off, apartment recycling, or commercial recycling, check the list of licensed garbage haulers to set up service.
Yard waste is a separate service contracted for with your garbage company and is optional because residents could also take yard waste to the Bunker Hills Compost site in Coon Rapids or practice at-home composting to create a reusable product for flower beds and vegetable gardens! The City does not pick up yard waste or Christmas trees.