in case of an emergency, if you feel unsafe, and/or if you need to speak with an officer immediately.
How To Address A Conflict
- Tips for Approaching Your Neighbor
Step #1: Prepare
◦ Stay Calm
◦ Prepare your description of the conflict in a small and specific way.
◦ Listen and respect the other person's response.
◦ Be open to discussion.
Step #2: Action
◦ Choose a time when the problem is not "hot" and both parties are not rushed.
◦ Ask - "May I talk with you about something?"
◦ Describe the conflict or problem as you experience it and why it is important to you.
◦ Invite the other person to share their side and listen to their response.
Step #3: Solution
◦ Identify areas where you both agree.
◦ Share ideas to make it better.
◦ Keep the conversation focused on today and the future, not the past.
◦ Propose a solution that works for both sides.
Step #4: Agreement
◦ Confirm that you both agree on action(s).
◦ Thank you other person for their willingness to listen and work with you.
◦ Remember to hold up your end of the agreement.
◦ Watch for opportunities to recognize when the other person follows up as agreed.